Friday, October 10, 2008

Bogus Jefferson Quote

Being a writer I'm a sucker for a good quote. Also love founding father quotes so with all the economic turmoil I kept seeing this one pop up.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies . . . If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] . . . will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered . . . The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson


Of course I think what an interesting quote but then the little voice in my head kicks in. This is highly unlikely that a quote so perfect to this situation really exists. So through the power of google I begin to research. And pow of course it is bogus. Check it out. This seems to be a thing with me as I had a back and forth with a local politician in my hometown paper over "quotes" of the founding fathers.

0 comments: