Friday, September 12, 2008

Thoughts

I've come to realize many things from being a dad. Its an odd sensation knowing that you're responsible for the care of another human being. You're the one who has to take care of them when they are sick and get out of their way when they think they're ready to try things alone. Well my kid has thought she is ready basically since day one.

Having just started pre-school is kicking it into overdrive. She is loving it and making friends and all the while my friends have been telling me how old it makes them feel. Strangely it has been having the opposite effect on me. Perhaps its because when she comes home we are building castles out of sheets in the living room or digging for treasure in the backyard (from a map we made together). Maybe even because of the time I spend reading her books before bed time. But I do know it doesn't make me feel old.

I've had allot happen over the years that does. Burying friends at a young age, watching others marry and divorce, seeing friends fade away and seeing kids I know go off to war. After yesterdays anniversary it all seems kind of trivial, but its at times like these I think searching for treasure and building castles is well worth it. And makes me feel like a kid again even if I know the real world is just outside the window. But for those moments it is just a distant echo.

0 comments: